The Storehouse & Market Garden
The Storehouse & Market Garden at Promise Land Pastures
A Community Food Pantry and Organic Market Garden Serving Charles City County; Beginning November 1, 2022, Located at 2401 Roxbury Rd., Charles City 23030
The Storehouse food panty was created in March 2020 to fill a critical need; one in every seven people in Charles City County doesn’t know where their next meal is coming from according to FeedMore, our regional food bank. Charles City is a vast area of 204 square miles without a single grocery store.
Food sources: The Storehouse provides healthy, diverse and enjoyable food choices with help from the community. Your financial support allows us to shop at our regional food bank at greatly reduced prices. We also receive food donations from volunteer collection sites and from patrons that shop online via our Amazon MarketPlace account. Most enjoyable to our customers is the fresh produce we receive from local farms. All combined, we collect food almost daily to keep our selves and cold storage stocked.
- Oasis Market Garden: In January 2022, we began the conversion of one acre of pasture land to create the Oasis Market Garden. The goal of the garden is to provide year-around, organic produce to the pantry.
Ways to Support: Help support our efforts by selecting Promise Land Pastures as your charity with the Amazon Smile Program. By doing so, Amazon will make a donation to us based on your purchases.
Of course we always welcome you to follow us on Facebook where we post current information and updates on our upcoming distributions.
- Drive-thru service: We currently offer once a month drive-thru service; St. John Baptist Church provides a drive-thru service on the first Thursday of each month.
- Just-In-Time: We strive to be responsive to the needs of our neighbors and provide groceries by appointment to anyone needing a boost. Please don’t hesitate to let us know.
- Home-delivery: In addition to our monthly distribution, we operate a twice a month home delivery service to over 60 of our home-bound neighbors.
- Distribution via CVHS: Twice a week we deliver deli, produce and bakery items to Central Virginia Health Services on Courthouse Rd. for their patients.
- Blessing Box program: With your help, we currently maintain 3 Blessing Boxes, smaller pantries with shelf stable items, to also reach customers. Current locations are at the CVHS health clinic, Old Union Rd. and Samaria Baptist Church.
Partnerships: The Storehouse and Market Garden rely on their backbone of volunteers who sort and package food for distribution, manage home-delivery routes, collect food from various sites and farms on almost a daily basis and work the garden. All of these efforts are done without compensation.
- A new Forever home: The Chickahominy Indian Tribe has invited us to partner with them at their redevelopment site at 2401 Roxbury Road. In 2023 you will see us transform our operations into a customer-focused shopping experience that offers both daytime and evening hours during the week and on the weekend. Our efforts include expanding to serve patients of the Mid-Atlantic Tribal Health Center being constructed at this location and planned for opening in the Spring of 2024.
- Charles City Public Schools: We partner with Charles City Public School’s Tiger Pack program to provide Christmas Stockings and Easter Baskets to their Tiger Pack kids.
Support: If you would like more information or would like to help, please email Jackie Stewart: Jackie@PromiseLandPastures.org. All gifts are tax deductible.